Sunday 13 January 2019

Robert

In 1990 Darren Pemberton, Brent Hume and myself opened a Locksmith Shop in Ancoats, Manchester.
One Saturday Morning I took my Son Matthew  to the Shop to do some Bench work, there was a Man sitting on a seat outside the Shop “Hello Michael” he said to me, he called Matthew “Michael” as well, he introduced himself as Robert and put his hand out for us to shake.

Robert’s appearance was: Dirty, Smelly, Rough Hair and Clothing, we had a chat and surprisingly he didn't ask me for any money, he just liked talking, then when I had to go into the Shop I slipping him £3 into his hand. This was a new experience for Matthew and we had a chat about Robert and people like him who lived on the Streets.

On Friday Evening I was Still Working again in the Shop, Robert Passed by, he asked if I could Lend him £5 until Monday, I was reluctant to lend money, giving him the money was ok, but lending it to him might make him feel awkward if he couldn't pay it back, I gave him the £5 and forgot about it.

On Monday evening when I called into the Shop with paperwork, Darren said that this Morning a Tramp opened the door and walked towards him into the Shop, he was serving a Customer, he thought he was coming over to ask for Money, he came over to the Counter and handed Darren £5,  both the customer and Darren were surprised they were expecting the Tramp to ask for Money not give it, Darren told me about it and asked me if this was anything to do with me. Then I got my Fiver back.

On the Next Friday Robert came into the Shop and asked Darren for a loan of £5 again and then promptly returned it on the next Monday.

Robert lived Rough in the Area finding shelter wherever he could in, Derelict Buildings, Garages,  cooking food over a Fire, Later on when we were talking together he told me that he left home at 16 because he couldn't manage living at home, he didn't have any Alcohol for a while but it helped to deal with the winter cold, it was obvious to me that he had started his adult life with Mental Health problems and all people could see now was an Alcoholic. Whenever I saw him in the street I would have a Chat then give him £3.

He was a Shouter, in a crowd he would shout obscure words to anybody and everybody, if I saw him in the City Centre he would be Shouting at the top of his voice, if he saw me he would come over to me and calmly say “Hello Michael how's Young Michael”, Everybody was a Michael.

Darren became his Loan Manager now and in a few years it went up to £10 a week, Robert told me that there was a Pub Landlord that helped too when he got his Wages on a Monday, otherwise he would spend it all at once and have no money left.

Every Christmas Darren and the other Locksmiths organised some Parcels for him, Tinned Food, Candles, Lager, Socks and Gloves. I'm sure we made a difference in his day, coming to see people that cared about him.

I used to call into the Shop in the evening, sometimes the Shop Staff left locks that needed repairing, or Keys made, if Robert was passing he would sit in a Chair on the Customer's side of the counter, I made him a Cup of Tea in a Large Mug, then he Spent a long time having a Conversation with 'Someone’ then 'Someone’ would talk back to him, over and over, sometimes he would have another Tea or go out.

The Council gave him a small Hostel room but he Lit Fires in the room for cooking, so that didn't last long. He was a skilled survivor, coping with the Frost, Sun, Wind and Rain with a resilience that can only be Admired.

He was a friend to us all that worked in our Locksmith Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment